Release plan - v16.x Maintenance #658
Description
Activity
- pinned this issue
on Apr 22, 2021 Contrary to what we discussed at the last Releasers meeting, I wasn't able to get 16.4.0 out on Thursday, so I'm going to push the schedule back 1 week for that release. And we should probably reflect rest of the schedule with the additional week.
The schedule is wrong for the past releases.
Could someone update it, please? @danielleadams @BethGriggsI already updated the table :
Release Date Release Releaser 2021-04-20 v16.0.0 @BethGriggs 2021-05-04 v16.1.0 @targos 2021-05-19 v16.2.0 @targos 2021-06-02 v16.3.0 @danielleadams 2021-06-23 v16.4.0 @danielleadams 2021-06-29 v16.x.x @BethGriggs 2021-07-13 v16.x.x 2021-07-27 v16.x.x 2021-08-10 v16.x.x 2021-08-24 v16.x.x 2021-09-07 v16.x.x 2021-09-21 v16.x.x 2021-10-05 v16.x.x 2021-10-19 v16.x.x 2021-10-26 LTS Transition In Markdown, it looks like this :
| **Release Date** | **Release** | **Releaser** | | ---------------- | -------------- | -------------- | | 2021-04-20 | v16.0.0 | @BethGriggs | | 2021-05-04 | v16.1.0 | @targos | | 2021-05-19 | v16.2.0 | @targos | | 2021-06-02 | v16.3.0 | @danielleadams | | 2021-06-23 | v16.4.0 | @danielleadams | | 2021-06-29 | v16.x.x | @BethGriggs | | 2021-07-13 | v16.x.x | | | 2021-07-27 | v16.x.x | | | 2021-08-10 | v16.x.x | | | 2021-08-24 | v16.x.x | | | 2021-09-07 | v16.x.x | | | 2021-09-21 | v16.x.x | | | 2021-10-05 | v16.x.x | | | 2021-10-19 | v16.x.x | | | 2021-10-26 | LTS Transition | |
And we should probably reflect rest of the schedule with the additional week.
Yes, we should postpone all the next releases to one week. 👍
I didn't do that yet for the new table.Updated. I'd prefer to keep the schedule as is rather than move all the future dates out - I can make a call next week whether there's enough to warrant a release so soon or skip.
Reacted by Théo LUDWIG and Danielle Adams@BethGriggs I added myself to July 13, but I'm also available on the other one, in case you prefer that date.
Reacted by Beth GriggsI picked up the August releases, but happy to swap if anyone needs/wants to.
Pushed back tomorrow's to 8/17.
Reacted by Michaël Zasso and Beth GriggsWe have 58 commits currently unreleased on v16.x-staging -- most probably due to the recent security releases supplanting the originally planned release last week. I'm going to try to get a quick release out this week to get those out and then we can keep the LTS transition next week to the usual "only changes the LTS bit" release.
Reacted by Michaël Zasso, Théo LUDWIG, Danielle Adams and Paul Rütter- changed the title
[-]Release plan - v16.x Current[/-][+]Release plan - v16.x Active LTS[/+]on Oct 23, 2021 In case anyone shows up here wondering where 16.15.0 is, I'm working on it, but hung up on pulling in nodejs/node#36328. It landed fine with minor merge conflicts, but it broke tests that don't appear to be related to the change.
This release won't be out tomorrow but hoping to get it at least prepared by tomorrow and released by Thursday.
Reacted by Richard Lau, Simon Plenderleith, srowley-mstr and Beth Griggs@BethGriggs is there some new schedule for v16.15.0 LTS?
@BethGriggs is there some new schedule for v16.15.0 LTS?
@timescodex The immediately preceding comment says that the plan is to hopefully get that release out on Thursday.
Following up here - a backport has been opened for nodejs/node#42726 (nodejs/node#42726), but 16.15.0 won't be ready for tomorrow.
Reacted by Rich Trott, srowley-mstr and codexThe staging branch for v16.17.0 is almost ready. I'm aiming the release for 2022-08-16.
Reacted by Richard Lau and Danielle AdamsThe v16.18.0 will have a delay to Monday 03 of October due to many conflicts and work stuff
Reacted by Ruy Adorno, Danielle Adams and Moshe Atlow- changed the title
[-]Release plan - v16.x Active LTS[/-][+]Release plan - v16.x Maintenance[/+]on Nov 1, 2022 Node.js 16 reaches End-of-Life in a few weeks on 11 September 2023. I've been looking at open PRs for v16.x as well as closed PR's labelled
lts-watch-v16.x.We have two open PRs:
title PR notes [v16.x] doc: include git add -f to include folder nodejs/node#49004 I don't think this is necessary if following the instructions in the maintenaning OpenSSL guide. [v16.x backport] deps: update corepack to 0.18.1 nodejs/node#47337 corepack is experimental. Current version of corepack in v16.x is 0.17.0 (and main is on 0.19.0). And lts-watch-v16.x labelled:
title PR notes Add auto to docs' contain-intrinsic-size decl, to prevent jitter/flicker nodejs/node#48195 url: do not use object as hashmap nodejs/node#47415 esm: add a runtime warning when using import assertions nodejs/node#46901 child_process: validate arguments for null bytes nodejs/node#44782 Suggestion that this prevents security issues. tools: fix duration_ms to be milliseconds nodejs/node#44490 src,lib: print source map error source on demand nodejs/node#43875 Labelled baking-for-lts I've also already cherry-picked onto v16.x-staging a commit to fix the V8 CI for Node.js 16, plus two root certificate updates which at first glance appear to be the only notable reason for doing another Node.js 16 release. The root certificate updates add two root certificates and removes three others:
- BJCA Global Root CA1
- BJCA Global Root CA2
- Network Solutions Certificate Authority
- EC-ACC
- Staat der Nederlanden EV Root CA
My only window to do a release is next week -- I'm going to be busy with work between 4-9 September. I'm currently leaning towards not doing a final Node.js 16 release. @nodejs/lts @nodejs/releasers thoughts?
One option could be to land things on v16.x-staging but not release so that they'd be there if people want to build from source.
nodejs/node#47337 passed CI so I've landed it on v16.x-staging.
- unpinned this issue
on Sep 25, 2023
Draft schedule - all dates subject to change
Current